By Cheng Chien Bhikshu
A translation of the first fabrics at the existence and teachings of Ma-Tsu (709-788), the successor to the good 6th patriarch and the best Ch'an grasp in historical past, Hui-Neng (638-713). The publication could be precious to all who desire to research the improvement of the Zen proposal and philosophy over the process heritage.
Read Online or Download Sun-Face Buddha: The Teachings of Ma-Tsu and the Hung-Chou School of Ch'an PDF
Similar spirituality books
Karen Armstrong starts this spellbinding tale of her non secular trip along with her departure in 1969 from the Roman Catholic convent she had entered seven years before—hoping, yet eventually failing, to discover God. She knew nearly not anything of the replaced global to which she was once returning, and she or he was once stricken by panic assaults and inexplicable seizures.
Provides a innovative new thought that bridges the divide among technology and spirituality
• Discloses the ramifications of non-localized awareness and the way the actual international and non secular adventure are facets of a similar reality
• comprises contributions from Jane Goodall, Ed Mitchell, Stanislav Grof, Ralph Abraham, and Christian de Quincy, between others
What scientists are actually discovering on the outermost frontiers of each box is overturning the entire uncomplicated premises about the nature of subject and fact. The universe isn't an international of separate issues and occasions yet is a cosmos that's hooked up, coherent, and bears a profound resemblance to the visions held within the earliest non secular traditions during which the actual international and religious adventure have been either points of an analogous fact and guy and the universe have been one. The findings that justify this new imaginative and prescient of the underlying good judgment of the universe come from just about all of the empirical sciences: physics, cosmology, the lifestyles sciences, and cognizance study. They clarify how interactions bring about interconnections that produce prompt and multifaceted coherence--what occurs to 1 half additionally occurs to the opposite components, and accordingly to the method as an entire. The feel of sacred oneness skilled by way of our ancestors that was once displaced by way of the unyielding fabric presumptions of recent technological know-how could be restored, and humanity can once more suppose at domestic within the universe.
Brash, daring, and occasionally brutal, superheroes might sound to epitomize glossy pop-culture at its so much melodramatic and senseless. yet in accordance with Ben Saunders, the charm of the superhero is essentially metaphysical - even religious - in nature. In chapter-length analyses of the early comedian ebook adventures of Superman, ask yourself girl, Spider-Man, and Iron-Man, Saunders explores a couple of advanced philosophical and theological concerns, together with: the matter of evil; the will-to-power; the stress among intimacy and vulnerability; and the problem of affection, within the face of mortality.
Whereas supplying many bills of near-death studies (NDEs) from males, girls, and kids of every age and backgrounds, classes from the sunshine is way greater than simply an inspiring choice of NDEs. In classes near-death specialist Kenneth Ring extracts the 24-karat gold of the NDE and with a gorgeous stability of sound examine and human perception unearths the sensible knowledge held inside those studies.
- Denial of the Soul: Spiritual and Medical Perspectives on Euthanasia and Mortality
- What is Zen?: Plain Talk for a Beginner's Mind
- Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment
- Basic Teachings of the Buddha (Modern Library Classics)
- Small Matters: How Churches and Parents Can Raise Up World-Changing Children (Exponential Series)
Additional info for Sun-Face Buddha: The Teachings of Ma-Tsu and the Hung-Chou School of Ch'an
56. "Eulogies in the Palace of Suyiima Heaven" chapter, Avatarpaka S a m . Cf. Cleary, vol. 1, p. 452. 57. paka SzZm. Cf. Cleary, vol. 1, p. 528. 58. psaka S&m. Cf. Cleary, vol. 1, p. 465. 59. When the river is crossed, the raft is left behind. Similarly, when the river of s a w m is crossed with the help of the teaching, one reaches the other shore of Nirvana and can abandon the teaching. As Chuang-tzu puts it, "when the fish is caught, the trap is abandoned. " 60. This is by no means to suggest that the practice of Ch'an was solely confined to the monastic community.
279a. English translation of the relevant passages in Jan, p. 45-47. 25. According to Tsung-mi the third phrase was later changed by Wu-chu to 'no-falsehood" (mo-wang). Wu-chu thought that the disciples of Wu-hsiang have misunderstood their teacher. See HTC vol 14, p. 278d. 26. Yanagida, p. 29-30. 27. HTC vol. 14, p. 27%-c; cf. Jan, p. 43. 28. The year of his ordination can be inferred from the information given in his entry in Sung kao-seng chum (Sung Biographies of Eminent M m k ) which states that he spent fifty years as a monk, which leads us to the year of 738.
All of them attach to all kinds unds. Why don't they follow our example and let ome like empty space; let them become like dry cold ashes. It is only then that they can have some 32. Together with "mind is Buddha," "OrdinaryMind is the " became known as the hallmark of Ma-tsu's teaching. See "The nd Teaching of Ma-tsu" in the Introduction. 33. Quotation from the Vimalakf+rCSiitra. 34. The sentence "Unobstructed wisdom is only one" (lit. not many*) appears in the Vimahkirtf Siitra. 35.